Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 23:05:46 +0930
From:      Matthew Thyer <thyerm@camtech.net.au>
To:        Edwin Culp <eculp@ver1.telmex.net.mx>
Cc:        dpetrou@cs.cmu.edu, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ulimit...

Administrators of large multiuser systems expect these kind of
limits to be on by default for 'ordinary users'.

Dont most vendors UNIXes have limits on by default ?

The single user workstation machine has the one power user that
can afford to get bitten once by this for the knowledge it gains
them.

Edwin Culp wrote:

> David Petrou wrote:
> >
> > (Sorry if I'm writing to the wrong FreeBSD list.  "current" seems the
> > most applicable to me...)
> >
> > > Signal 24 is SIGXCPU (exceeded CPU time limit).  Check your ulimit
> > > settings ("limit" if you use csh) and your login.conf setup.
> >
> > Have you guys considered turning off limits by default?  It seems that
> > every FreeBSDer at one time or another is bit by this (including me).
> > There must have been at least 50 questions on the FreeBSD lists from
> > people wondering why they get SIGXCPU, "out of memory", etc.
> >
> > If they were off by default, this problem wouldn't exist.  And for
> > those that do want to turn them on, they can customize login.conf
> > based on their system's resources, such as amount of RAM, number of
> > users, etc.
> >
> > David
> >

> I agree 100%.  Most of us have to modify them.  I usually remember
> after someone has a problem, seldom before:-)  It would be mucho
> more practical to turn them on if needed.
>
> Ed

|Work: Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au | Home: thyerm@camtech.net.au|
"If it is true that our Universe has a zero net value for all conserved
quantities, then it may simply be a fluctuation of the vacuum of some
larger space in which our Universe is imbedded. In answer to the
question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our
Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time."
 E. P. Tryon   from "Nature" Vol.246 Dec.14, 1973