Date:      Tue, 1 Sep 1998 17:25:49 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        dkelly@nebula.tbe.com (David Kelly)
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FAQ: best currently supported sound card?

> Didn't find a pcm(4) man page, as I'd hoped for. But did find Luigi's

not committed yet, it is in my sources though
(http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/snd980607.tgz)

> /usr/src/sys/i386/isa/snd/{CARDS,README} files. These suggest PCI is
> not yet supported. Nor is /dev/synth, at least until Summer '98?

i'd say until the next millennium :)

> Darn it! No synth(4) man page either. And I can't find it in
> /dev/MAKEDEV. Was thinking about making a 300 baud modem (transmit
> only) and a synthesizer would be Just The Thing. Apparently I'm looking

cat'ting your file to /dev/audio is also an option!

> Netsurfing failed to turn up definite sources of Crystal CS423x based

AOpen AW35 is one (and pretty decent i think).  YAMAHA OPL/SA2 and
OPL/SA3 (isa-pnp) are other good ones. The problem is that most of
these cards claim SB compatibility as a feature and forget to say
what they really are :(

	cheers
	luigi