Date:      Sun, 5 Dec 2010 12:55:32 -0500
From:      Chris Brennan <xaero@xaerolimit.net>
To:        Jorge Biquez <jbiquez@intranet.com.mx>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need to compile kernel for 2 or more processors?

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 12:39 PM, Jorge Biquez <jbiquez@intranet.com.mx>wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> I hope this question does not sound so stupid. I am sorry in advance.
>
> I am doing my guideline of the activities I need to do to change an old 2
> processors INtel 386 machine with 1GB of ram and 30GB of hard disk. The
> machine is working fine but after more than 10 years of working will be
> replaced for a new machine (could be an i3, i7, or xeon maybe). This one
> will be honored and will continue working as our secondary DNS. Actually is
> running Freebsd version 7.3 PRERELEASE . I will updated to 7.3 RELEASE.
> This machine has 2 physical processors and I remember that on old version
> of FreeBSD I have to compile the kernel so the second processor could be
> seen. I still do not know aht processor will be but I am looking for the
> strongest and cheapest combination of motherboard and processor. Anyway, I
> was wondering, if it is only one physycal processor with 2-4 embedded (xeon
> by exmaple)
>
>  I guess that actually we do not have to change the kernel so all
> processors can be seen? Am I right ?
>
> By the way, if you can suggest based on experience the best combination on
> price performance of motherboard/processor to follow (not necessary the
> latest one) please let me know.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Jorge Biquez

IIRC, FreeBSD7+ kernels are compiled w/ SMP already, atleast I know my
FBSD7.3 box is compiled w/ it and it's been that way since I installed it
like 3 years ago.

Multicore CPU's are realistically cheap, Dual and Quad Core CPU's would run
you somewhere between $50-$100 in the U.S. Now as for a Multi-Core/Multi-CPU
setup, that would cost you considerably more. Especially if you want more
then 2 Multi-Core CPU's. pricewatch.com is a great place to judge prices
(again, in the U.S.)

HTH, C-