Date:      Tue, 10 Mar 1998 16:39:54 -0600
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@demon.net>
To:        Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panics with SMP and NFS

Glenn Johnson writes:

>I don't know if this is an NFS or SMP problem but I get the following when I
>try to use NFS on an SMP system.
>
>	"panic: bremfree: removing a buffer when not on a queue

Looks like a {V,N}FS problem rather than SMP -- at least I've just
seen this happen a few times on a single-cpu box - there doesn't
seem to be any repeatability to the problem, just effectively
random NFS hangs, then a panic and reboot.

Peeking at the code, it seems that this panic (and a bunch of other
stuff) is only called if MAX_PERF is undefined -- sadly, no mention
of MAX_PERF is made in any of the kernel config files (even LINT).

Unfortunately, I'm not able to produce a crash trace of the panic,
since the -current I'm using (cvsup @ 0300 CST, 03/10) appears to
be incapable of producing sensible debug kernels - viz:

	config -g BLAH
	(make depend, make)
	cp kernel kernel.debug
	strip -d kernel
	make install

Leads to thousands (literally) of:

	"Bad string table index (...)"

message being sent to the console before any other output from the
kernel, and then practically everything that uses kvm falls over.

Mar 10 08:47:31 icebat /kernel: pid 25 (dmesg), uid 0: exited on signal 11
Mar 10 08:47:31 icebat /kernel: pid 80 (dset), uid 0: exited on signal 11
Mar 10 08:47:32 icebat /kernel: pid 87 (tickadj), uid 0: exited on signal 11
Mar 10 08:47:32 icebat /kernel: pid 94 (xntpd), uid 0: exited on signal 11
Mar 10 08:47:32 icebat /kernel: pid 118 (kvm_mkdb), uid 0: exited on signal 11

"Normal" config's (without the -g) work just fine.

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Demon Internet, Austin, Texas.