Date:      Sat, 25 Oct 2008 16:39:41 +0200
From:      martinko <gamato@users.sf.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: easy way to upgrade from 6.3 to 7.1 (including port packages)

Oliver Fromme wrote:
> martinko <gamato@users.sf.net> wrote:
>  > 1)  I wonder if I could use mergemaster to compare 2 directories and
>  > merge differencies as neccessary.  To explain: I have all config files I
>  > touch saved with full path somewhere in /root.  And therefore I'd like
>  > mergemaster or some other tool to compare all files in my backup
>  > directory with newly installed (config) files.
>
> You can use mergemaster against any directory, not just
> /etc.  This is especially useful when perforing a binary
> update, a cross update or similar things.

No, you cannot.
I have all config files I edited saved with full path under my backup
directory and I would like to use mergemaster or something similar to
compare and merge my changes (perhaps from other machine).  But if you
try to use mergemaster (you need to specify both -m and -D) it would try
to run make (1) which fails since there is no Makefile in my backup dir. :-(