Date:      Sun, 31 Dec 2000 14:49:11 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI tape diagnostics?

Matthew Jacob writes:

> C'mon, David, you know the drill... CAMDEBUG kernel, camcontrol debug -Ic

<CONTROL AGENT 87 MODE>
"Ah, of course! The old 'camcontrol debug' ploy!"
</CONTROL AGENT 87 MODE>

Agree I should have known that. But for the life of me, couldn't think
of it. I don't normally have CAMDEBUG in my kernel.

> ... The 'mt' error stuff is limited to what errno can return. However, you can
> also try
>
> mt errstat
>
> on the control device to see what was latched up.
> (err, um, it *is* in the man page....)

And I did document that I tried it. The output wasn't any more
informative.

> On Sat, 30 Dec 2000, David Kelly wrote:
[...]
> > grumpy: {456} mt stat
> > mt: /dev/nsa0: Input/output error
> > grumpy: {457} mt errstat
> > mt: /dev/nsa0: Input/output error
> > grumpy: {458}

Tape is coming out of the slot a bit warmer than I remember. New case
has only one exhaust fan. Its time to use the outdoor probe on my Radio
Shack Indoor/Outdoor Digital Thermometer to see if I have a systemic
problem and need another fan. This box is a lot quieter, and I like
that. But cooked isn't fun either.

Don't know what happened but I have two tapes which the drive refuses to
accept. All others I have close at hand are "good" at least thru "mt
stat". I'll take the questionable tapes to work where I have the twin
of this drive. If it breaks there then I'll quit worrying and throw the
tapes away. How ever it turns out, its not really a FreeBSD issue.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net