Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 1996 10:22:57 -0400
From:      "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
To:        bugs@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   3C5X9 code...

I recently tried to install 2.1.5-RELEASE on my pentium system
with some serious problems. After several seconds of network usage,
the 3COM 3C5X9 card in my machine drops off the network. This happens
both during the install (from the boot floppy) and with the
GENERIC kernel. I was able to get 2.1.5-RELEASE installed by choosing a minimal
configuration, and then toggling the interface status using ifconfig
every few seconds (ie - ifconfig ep0 down;sleep 1;ifconfig ep0 up;sleep3 -
repeat as needed). Once loaded, the problem persisted, and began to
cause panics after a period of time during NFS copies, and other
high-load situations. The problem does not seem to "go away" under
low load situations, and appears to happen in 3 (high load) to 15 (low load)
second intervals.

15 minutes before the install, I had 2.1.5-GAMMA on the same
hardware (in the same configuration) with no problems (which
makes me think its NOT the hardware), but I don't know what may
have changed between -GAMMA and -RELEASE.

Please let me know if this is a known bug, or whether I am just
losing my mind.
	-Brian