Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 2002 18:59:45 -0500
From:      dmk <gh@over-yonder.net>
To:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: emulators/rtc and vmware2

On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 04:31:49PM -0700 I heard the voice of
Nate Lawson, and lo! it spake thus:
> On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, dmk wrote:
[...]
> > The attached diff effectively restructures the rtc device driver to
> > perform the make_dev() at module load. The driver may have problems, but
> > it does work, and, unlike the first diff, doesn't segfault on unload. ;-)
> >
> > (I don't claim to write C or hack kernels, so this presented as-is in
>
> Generally it's more appropriate to do cdevsw_add() in module init and then
> make_dev() in each open.  That's the ONLY way to do it if you have
> multiple instances of a device (e.g. BPF).

Yes, but... ;-) That way doesn't work with VMware. The restructured way
does. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about what's going on to fix it
the Right Way, which I presume would involve fixing VMware.

Can anyone suggest where I should be looking?

> -Nate
dan