Date:      Thu, 30 May 2002 01:13:07 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>, Peter Schultz <peter@jocose.org>, taguchi@tohoku.iij.ad.jp, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4-libraries build error

Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> * Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org> [020530 01:01] wrote:
> > Wilko Bulte wrote:
> > > On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 11:38:57PM -0500, Peter Schultz wrote:
> > >
> > > FWIW: same here yesterday. I have not yet investigated what's up
> >
> > gcc-3.1 appears to have broken
> > #pragma weak foo = bar
>
> What's the correct way to do this now?

I dont know. :-(  There are hacks that can work around it, but I think this
is unintentional breakage.  I tried changing this:
#pragma weak foo = bar
__weak_reference(bar, foo);

But I didn't get much further since Xfree86 was provoking internal compiler
errors.  Turning off -O entirely got around it a few times, and then I had
more failures with lack of c++ libraries. The end result of all the futzing
around ended up with a set of binaries that were basically hosed and
usually segfaulted on startup.

Shortly after that point, I then managed to panic my system (running 5.x)
and said "to hell with it" and did a pkg_add -r to install it instead.

I'm in the middle of moving, so I haven't had much more of a chance to look
at it.  There are GCC bugs involved.

Cheers,
-Peter