Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 19:25:36 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in (Rahul Siddharthan)
Cc:        adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org (Arun Sharma), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On "intelligent people" and "dangers to BSD"

> Dunno about lawyers but the GPL nowhere insists that you must
> redistribute -- only that if you do so, it must be under the GPL.

It is my understanding that IBM bought Whistle instead of Cobalt
because of fears of the GPL resulting in dillution of their
patent portfolio.

> More recently, Hans Reiser makes it clear that he plans to
> dual-license ReiserFS in some way, GPL for linux and commercial
> licence for commercial vendors who may be interested, I think he
> too plans to control the copyrights to all contributions in some
> way.

I think he is going to have a hard time with this, considering
that his code utilizes the USL Delayed Ordered Writes patent,
without license.

This is like "Lesstif", which used the Motif header files and so
on; it is my opinion that if Lesstif ever posed a revenue threat
to OSF, that they would be well within their rights to stop it
dead.  The US 5th Circuit court of appeals has binding case law
on the subject of "deep reverse engineering".

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.