Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 2004 08:51:53 +0200
From:      "Gunnarsson, Mikael" <Mikael.Gunnarsson@octapharma.se>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>, <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Looking for switch recommendations ...

You don't mention if you need gigabit speeds on all ports, so I'll assu=
me you don't.

The HP ProCurve 2524 (or 2512 if you really only want 12=
 ports, but the price difference is minimal) is a very nice and stable sw=
itch. We have about 95-100 2524 switches on the access level here, and I =
am yet to experience a fault that originated in the actual switch. It has=
 24 (or 12) 10/100 ports and two module slots for gigabit links. It's man=
ageable via serial console, telnet, web or snmp (and rmon too, I think) a=
nd has all the bells and whistles you expect from a manageble switch (ple=
nty of monitoring, spanning tree, vlan support, etc..)

They're rather =
cheap nowadays, over here they go for 3500 SEK (approx. $450) .. It's one=
 of HP's big sellers, so they have dropped quite a lot in price lately.
=

Mvh
Mikael Gunnarsson
Octapharma AB / IT

essage-----
sd-net@freebsd.org]On Behalf Of Marc G. Fournier
> Sent: den 26 mars 200=
4 17:05
> To: freebsd-net@freebsd.org
> Subject: Looking for switch rec=
ommendations ...

> I'm looking at replacing my el'cheapo swi=
tch with something
> better that
> will allow me to fix my issues with=
 the em/full-duplex problem ...

> I'm looking for ssomething managed=
, as well as SNMP aware so
> that I can
> tie it into Zabbix for monit=
oring ... something 8 or 12 port
> preferred.
>
> Cisco, of course, =
is always a big name ... but also expensive ... oen
> recommendation is =
the xl 1900, but I can't find any specs on her at
> cisco's site, so dis=
continued product?

> What about Netgear, which I have easy access to=
?  Or Alcatel?

----
> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services
(http://=
www.hub.org)
Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy          =
    ICQ: 7615664