Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 2004 15:15:01 -0600
From:      "Steven N. Fettig" <freebsd@stevenfettig.com>
To:        moliveri@uti.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on Dell PowerEdge 2500

moliveri@uti.com wrote:

>Anyone have any experience installing FreeBSD on a Dell PowerEdge server?
>2500 or any other? I'm looking at having to do so and, having not done it
>before, I'm just wondering if there are any gotchas I should be aware of
>or if I have to use their OpenManage CDs or something.
>
>Take care,
>Mike

I have two Dell PowerEdge servers (that I bought off eBay - a 2200 and
2400) that have FreeBSD currently running on them (one of them has been
up for almost 2 years - minus the one time I had to turn it off to
move).  I have never had any problems with the install procedure.  I
have noticed that trying to install 5.2.1 can be quirky on a number of
machines (I haven't tried it on the Dells because they are "production"
servers), but not with the 4.5-4.9 series of releases.  (Plus, the 5.2.1
problems are related to NIC's and some other equip that may be
considered non-standard.)

My 1/2 cent.
Steve Fettig