Date:      Mon, 03 Dec 2001 11:16:16 -0500
From:      Daniel Frazier <dfrazier@magpage.com>
To:        "Crist J . Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86 4.1.0 and IntelliMouse

Crist J . Clark wrote:

> I thought I would give XFree86 4.1.0 a try. It all went pretty well
> except for one problem, my mouse is being freaky. The mouse runs fine
> under XFree86 3.3.6 and on a VTY, but when I start XFree86 4.1.0, the
> cursor gravitates towards one corner of the screen (usually the
> upper-left) and just kind of sticks there. If I make some violent
> movements with the mouse, the cursor may move across the screen for a
> moment, but then it returns.
>
> The mouse is a plain ol' M$ IntelliMouse. I've tried telling the
> /etc/X11/XF86Config that it is uses both "IntelliMouse" and the "PS/2"
> "Protocol"s, but neither works. Just for completeness, I've attached
> my XF86Config file. There seems to be nothing unusual in the
> diagnostic messages for the mouse the server prints to the console as
> X starts up.
>
> Anyone have ideas what I need to do or what might be the problem?

My intellimouse works as advertised using XFree86 4.1.0_6 and this in
/etc/X11/XF86Config:

Section "InputDevice"

# Identifier and driver

     Identifier  "Mouse1"
     Driver      "mouse"
     Option "Protocol"    "Auto"
     Option "Device"      "/dev/psm0"
     Option "Buttons"    "5"
     Option "ZAxisMapping"       "4 5"

EndSection

hope this helps.  good luck!

Daniel Frazier  <dfrazier@magpage.com>   Tel:  302-239-5900 Ext. 231
Systems Administrator                    Fax:  302-239-3909
MAGPAGE, We Power the Internet           WWW:  http://www.magpage.com/

         - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.