Date:      Fri, 12 Feb 2021 09:42:56 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        david russell <rukklespc@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:

On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 15:32:26 -0500, david russell wrote:
> File system!

That should probably have been the subject. Note that in some
cases, messages without a subject will be considered spam. :-)

> I recently installed version 11.4.
> The format only gave me 1 complete file system.I have installed 6.1
> freebsd  it allowed speakers partitions,which I think is better!

Depends. But yes, functionally separate partitions often are
a better solution than "all in one". ;-)

> I tried to get the partition manager, to create separate
> partitions,couldn't do it!

Use "Manual" from the bsdinstall program to create partitions
and assign mountpoints.

See chapter 2.6. of The FreeBSD Handbook:

https://docs.freebsd.org/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/bsdinstall-partitioning.html

> You should go back to the other partition manager like freebsd6.1 had!

I think that was still sysinstall, which is no longer supported
or used. The installation process uses bsdinstall now.

> I tried to install version 12,it wouldn't go past the partition manager!

Did you receive any useful error message?

> The partition manager does not allow choices in the file setup,ie
> dump,srv,fake root,nfs.

Some of those options can be changed with bsdinstall, too.
However, bsdinstall does not cover as many things as sysinstall
did. But there are several post-install things you can configure
interactively (services and settings) with bsdinstall.

Compare chapter 2.8. of The FreeBSD Handbook:

https://docs.freebsd.org/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/bsdinstall-post.html

> In my opinion an all in 1 partition is a disaster waiting to happen.

Depends. For certain kinds of systems (usually home PCs) it seems
to be the most convenient approach.

> Q:can you give an option in version 14?regarding format choices.

FreeBSD 14 will surely still use bsdinstall.

More information here:

https://wiki.freebsd.org/BSDInstall

--
Polytropon