Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 11:32:37 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Nick Slager <nicks@albury.net.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cdrom mounting

Nick Slager writes:
> Thus spake Wyatt Banks (banksw@sunyit.edu):
> > When I have my cdrom mount listed in fstab, my computer will not boot
> > correctly without a cdrom in the drive.  With a cdrom in the drive, it
> > boots and I can access it fine.  Does this sound correct?
> > I thought I read something about a limitation being that the cd must be in
> > the drive to mount it, or something similar, but can't find where I read
> > it.  I spent all day looking in 'The Complete FreeBSD' and reading man
> > pages but can't find what I think I read.
> You probably want to change the options in /etc/fstab. Something like
> this:
> /dev/acd0c	/cdrom	cd9660	ro,noauto	0	0

Nick is dead on. He didn't say why, though. FreeBSD won't boot
multi-user if it can't mount all the file systems that it thinks it's
supposed to. This is a good thing, because the system has no way of
knowing what file systems are critical to proper system functioning,
and what it would be just as happy without. Nick's change (adding
noauto) tells the system not to automatically mount the drive at
system startup, and hence not to fail if the drive can't be mounted.

	<mike