Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 1999 03:28:06 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cc -O broken in -current for Alpha KLDs

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> I do most of my development on alphas & I just turned some local code
> into a loadable kernel module.  It works fine when compiled into the
> kernel statically, but fails miserably when loaded into an alpha
> kernel as a module.  This alpha is running -current from monday or
> so.
>
> After a day or so of debugging, I decided to run
> it on an x86 -- it ran just fine.  I've narrowed the problem down to
> one involving optimization and have extracted a simple, reproducable
> test case.
>
> When the test module is loaded without optimization (CFLAGS += -g
> -O0), it prints the following (which is correct):

It looks like we aren't handling the relocations correctly. When I get a
chance, I will try to look at it. If you want to have another look, the
code at fault is probably in alpha/alpha/elf_machdep.c and you can get a
list of relocations in the module with 'objdump --dynamic-reloc foo.ko'.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com