Date:      Wed, 9 Apr 1997 11:26:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
Cc:        questions list FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: dump produces setsockopt error. Why?

On Wed, 9 Apr 1997, Charles Owens wrote:

> > > itsdsv3.enc.edu: Connection refused
> > > TCP_MAXSEG setsockopt: Bad file descriptor
> > >
> > > (itsdsv3 is the remote host, of course)
> > >
> > > Any ideas as to what's causing this?  Both hosts are running 2.1-stable
> > > (just slightly pre-2.1.5-RELEASE... yes, I know, I need to upgrade).
> >
> > You need to tell itsdsv3 to accept rsh connections.
>
> This is true, but I've already done this.  On itsdsv3 I have a dummy user
> set up that has write permission to the tape drive device.  In this dummy
> user's home dir I have a .rhost file with entries of the sort:

[ user info ]

Looks OK...

> I have these dumps being invoked from a script.  The script does this:
>
> 1. uses mt to rewind remote tape
> 2. uses mt to possibly skip forward x number of file marks
> 3. invokes dump several times to backup various local file systems
>
> Until recently, it worked fine, every time.  Lately, however, I've been
> getting a "connection refused" error with step 2 or with the first dump
> invocation in step 3.  If the latter, then the first partition dump is
> aborted but _all_other_ dumps complete without error!!!

I wonder if you are hitting one of the minor problems that sometimes rears
up with rsh.  We've had trouble in the past (2.1.x series) with rsh not
responding to connections for 30s after the last one has closed.  You
might try sticking a 'sleep 30' between the commands, just to make sure
everything has settled before continuing to the next step.