Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 08:51:12 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Clash of Titans - Tale of two Morons

--yrj/dFKFPuw6o+aM

On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 08:38:38PM -0700, Bakul Shah wrote:
> > You can do the same thing in FreeBSD, fairly trivially; I don't
> > see how it's much different than portals; someone was complaining
> > the other day about FreeBSD not having the Windows "control panel"
> > feature, where you are not actually looking at a filesystem object,
> > you are looking at a DLL loaded into your shell as a shell
> > extension; I pointed out portals and got back "Oh.".  8-).
>=20
> Can you do the equivalent of
>=20
> # Create a tar file
> $ cd /
> $ tar cf /sys.tar sys
>=20
> # mount the tar file
> $ mount -t <foo> /my-sys sys.tar
> $ cd /my-sys/i386
> Makefile        conf            ibcs2           isa             pci
> apm             i386            include         linux           svr4

In theory, yes.  In practice, no, because no one's written the
filesystem layer for it.

DES recently committed pseudofs, which is intended to abstract out a lot
of the code that would be common between filesystems like this (and the
likes of kernfs, sysctlfs, procfs, et al) so writing this sort of layer
should now be considerably easier.  Should I ever get the requisite
amount of free time I might tackle this example and write it up as a
"Writing a simple filesystem for FreeBSD" article.

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve             http://www.freebsd.org/
FreeBSD Documentation Project           http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/

          --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---

--yrj/dFKFPuw6o+aM

--yrj/dFKFPuw6o+aM--