Date:      Sat, 12 Nov 2016 16:34:18 +0000
From:      Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SSD drive appears to have been "downgraded" from SATA 2 to SATA 1

On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 18:07:41 -0800
David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:

> On 11/11/2016 05:24 AM, Mike Clarke wrote:

> I tried that yesterday. Although Windows 7 could see the drive SSD
> Dashboard failed to detect it.

[snip]

> > For my next step I'll delete the GPT partitioning scheme from this
> > empty drive and try formatting it with Windows 7 to see if that makes
> > it visible to SSD Dashboard.

I tried that today but SSD Dashboard still couldn't detect the drive.

> It seems like you are going through a lot of effort to retain a BSD
> system image, ZFS file systems, and/or your data (?).

No, apart from a problem adding an efi partition ready for an upcoming
upgrade (now resolved by a second attempt to re-partition) I've got no
problem with my data and system. The problem is that one, or possibly
both,of my SSD's are only running at 150MB/s in a motherboard that
supports 300MB/s. The SSD problem only arose after deleting all the
data from the drives and re-partitioning.

In my previous post I remarked that my second drive had gone down to
SATA1 150MB/s but that now appears to be random. Sometimes the second
drive boots up at 150Mb/s and other times at 300MB/s. The first drive
has consistently booted up at 150MB/s for the last few days after a
previous history of running at 300MB/s.

The SSD's are my system pool, I have a separate data pool installed on
a couple of HDD's and these consistently boot up as SATA 2. Suggesting
that there's no problem with the motherboard or drivers. It's not a
problem with a particular SATA port because I've tried the suspect SSD
on different ports. I suppose it's possible I've got a couple of faulty
SSD's but it would be a remarkable coincidence if both were to go
faulty at the same time so I'm still hoping to find out if it's a
software related problem or not.

> I find it's easier to backup/ archive everything, test all the
> hardware (power supply, memory, drives), replace and re-test hardware
> as necessary until all the hardware passes, wipe all the drives
> (preferably using the manufacturer diagnostic, especially for SSD's)
> and start over with a fresh install of the OS of my choice.

My fairly elderly motherboard with Nvidia chipset will be replaced when
I upgrade my PC in the next couple of weeks. The new motherboard will
have an Intel Z97 chipset. I'll wait until then before pursuing the SSD
problem any further if it persists.

--
Mike Clarke