Date:      Mon, 3 Dec 2001 07:44:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        Oleg Cherkasov <Oleg.Cherkasov@mail.com>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: philosophical question...

On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> * Oleg Cherkasov <Oleg.Cherkasov@mail.com> [011203 03:16] wrote:
> >
> > Think a new key 'malloc.random' for sysctl could be more useful, protected
> > with 'kern.securelevel' > 1.
>
> However, malloc(3) has nothing to do with the kernel.

Yeah, I'm not sure why it would be keyed off of 'securelevel'.  Seems to
me that we should avoid any more userland cruft being associated
unnecessarily with securelevels, actually :-).

And if we do stuff this in a securelevel, it sounds like we need a
userland.<applicationname> sysctl namespace.  More likely, we just need
this to be a flag on /etc/malloc.conf.