Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2002 01:25:37 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Lamont Granquist <lamont@scriptkiddie.org>
Cc:        Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>, "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@geekpunk.net>, Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>, Evan Dower <evantd@hotmail.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cyrus vs. UW IMAP (was: Re: I Volunteer)

Lamont Granquist wrote:
> > > Cyrus imapd is a real pain in the ass to administer local user accounts
> > > with though.
> >
> > You mean that it doesn't integrate well with the UNIX credentials
> > system.  THe issue here is that Cyrus needs to be able to hook
> > create/delete actions on accounts, and UNIX fails to provide a
> > means of doing this.  I look at this as a UNIX deficiency.  You
> > can actually get around it by using "pw" and utilizing the script
> > hooks it has.
>
> Well, that's trying to place blame on how it should get fixed.  From my
> perspective I don't care, it is just more difficult to use.

It has functionality that can not be implemented without adding
to how UNIX does things.  Basically, it needs to be able to
hook the account constructor/destructor.

I think that it you are running shell acounts on your mail server,
you are in trouble anyway.

> > The easiest real fix for this would be to write a PAM module to
> > cause the UNIX users to authenticate against the Cyrus database.
>
> Creating mailboxes is also a PITA, I like procmail to be able to do this
> and not have a 2nd configuration step...

You mean "new mailboxes".  THat's an issue of a client program
that you could run from procmail on a user's behalf, based on
a credential correspondance.  You have to establish that
correspondance first.

Actually, there are patches that let you auto-create mailboxes,
but, like your "procmail" fix, they are subject to denial of
service attacks from people who know the process is automatic.

Probably if you have particular problems with Cyrus, you should
take them up with the Cyrus mailing lists.  This has really gotten
away from the request for a recommendation of which IMAP server
to run on a FreeBSD system.

-- Terry