Date:      Sun, 18 Sep 2016 01:50:28 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Baho Utot <baho-utot@columbus.rr.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: base source: release vs releng

On Sat, 17 Sep 2016 18:45:44 -0400, Baho Utot wrote:
> As I understand this:
>
> The difference between release and releng is that releng gets security
> fixes and "back ports/fixes" and release does not?
>
> Or have I completely missed the boat and I am all wet?

The term "releng" means "release engineering" and is something like
a word for "the whole release process", the task of creating a release
of the OS, in which there are basically three levels:

RELEASE - this is the release which gets published electronically
	and on optical media

RELEASE-pX - this is a RELEASE where security updates have been
	added to, indicated by patchlevel X

STABLE - this is the stable development branch, i. e. the branch
	in which ABIs and APIs are stable, and which usually does
	compile and run; typcally from this branch, security updates
	are provided for RELEASE

CURRENT or HEAD - this is the experimental development branch, the
	place where testing happens, so it isn't _guaranteed_ to
	compile and run properly; it's often in a "state of flow",
	i. e. doesn't compile now, wait 2 hours, update sources,
	recompile, works; from this branch, features are put into
	production development (appearing in STABLE) or discarded
	(which also _may_ happen)

You can find more information here:

https://www.freebsd.org/releng/

--