Date:      Sat, 3 Jun 2000 01:14:04 -0700
From:      "Bharat Mediratta" <bharat@sinia.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: 3.4-STABLE -> 4.0-RELEASE upgrade:  unable to mount root partition

> On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, Bharat Mediratta wrote:
>
> > Mounting root from ufs:wd0s1a
> > wd0: bad sector table not supported
> > wd0s1: bad sector table not supported
>
> Bad144 tables are not supported in 4.0.  Check the mail archives for a
> solution, I think you can just dd /dev/zero over the table to clear it,
> but you may have to repartition.

Ok, I've received several emails from people saying that bad144 is
not supported in 4.0 (where is that documented?)  I checked the
mail archives, but can find no solution that explains in detail:

	a) 	how to tell if your drive has bad144 on it
	b)	how to remove bad144 without reformatting your drive

I ran sysinstall and looked at the disk using it's fdisk utility
and there is no 'B' next to the freebsd slice.  I have a second
disk that may or may not have bad144 tables on it.

This machine is my primary gateway to the world and although it
is backed up, I'd rather not expose myself to a lot of downtime.
I'd like to understand my situation as best as possible before
I take any action.  Any information is welcome.

Thanks,
-Bharat