Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 1996 10:36:55 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        s2147607@cse.unsw.edu.au (Bagus Dewantara)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: want to run unix with pentium

> I want to run unix with pentium, how much this will cost me and
> what is the best configuration needed.

UNIX is a registered trademark of whoever owns USL this week,
exclusively licensed to X/Open.

OS's that are feature-for-feature equivalent to UNIX can not legally
use the trademark, and are called UNIX-like OS's.

If you want to run a UNIX-like OS, like FreeBSD or NetBSD or OpenBSD
Debian Linux or RedHat Linux or Caldera Linux or ...

It will cost you either the download time (and no charge for the
software) or a media charge for a CDROM (and no charge for the
software).

For pricing on BSDI's UNIX-like OS, or Solaris, or SCO UNIX, you'll
have to contact them.  In general, it's in excess of $1000, and may
be as high as $12,000.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---