Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 2002 14:46:19 +0200
From:      Marc Perisa <perisa@porsche.de>
To:        Lasse Laursen <laursen@netgroup.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Raid-1 and Vinum

Lasse Laursen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a small question regarding Vinum and Raid-1 that I hoped someone
> would be able to answer.
>
> We have a storagetak raid with 2 x 65 GByte RAID 5 arrays. We are going to
> mount both arrays under FreeBSD and then use software raid 1 (Vinum) to
> mirror the two raids (It's a single point of failure in a huge cluster so
> it's really important to never loose any data).
>
> We have several Linux systems running software raid 1 and if one of the
> disks fail in the mirror then the other disk can simply be mounted - is it
> the same procedure under FreeBSD? Eg. if one of the raids fail we will be
> able to mount the existing part of the raid as a regular disk?
>
> (please reply to my email address as well as to the list)
>
> Thanks in advance :)
>

> Regards

Hi Lars,

as far as I understand Vinum you don't have to mount another disk to use
the mirror.

It works as follows:

define a mirrored RAID using Vinum
mount that mirrored RAID
write data to it

If one mirror fails (in your case: your RAID-5 looses 2 disks at once)
Vinum will set that "device" (your array) to failed and continue
operations with a "degraded" RAID-1. No (re-)mounting needed.

(Now stuff learned from looking while someone else has done it - not
from own experience:) If you bring that RAID-5 back online, you tell
Vinum to bring that back online (I think you have to fiddle through
disk, subdisk and plex config) and continue operations.

Hope that helps

Marc