Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 2003 10:41:49 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Wayne Pascoe <freebsd-questions@penguinpowered.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PostgreSQL on FreeBSD

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Wayne Pascoe wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 04:04:28PM -0500, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> > >                                                Why does setting them in
> > > /etc/sysctl.conf or /etc/loader.conf not work ?
> >
> > You're doing something wrong.  That's all I can say when the
> > description of the failure is just "not work".
>
> Allow me to expand on that then... I put the options in /etc/sysctl.conf
> as follows:
> kern.ipc.somaxconn=512
> kern.ipc.shmmax=268435456
> kern.ipc.shmall=65536
> kern.ipc.shmmni=128
> kern.ipc.semmns=256
>
> When I reboot, sysctl -a | grep kern.ipc.semmns returns
> kern.ipc.semmns: 60

I believe -current now has code to pull values for these out of the
kernel environment; that's missing in -stable (IIRC; not checked, but I
have a vague recollection of trying to figure out how the hell the
values were supposed to get into the sysctl value until I looked at the
-current tree).

"I like oranges more than apples!?" - that's like comparing apples and oranges!