Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 2015 16:37:49 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        doug@safeport.com
Cc:        "lokadamus@gmx.de" <lokadamus@gmx.de>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: generating xorg.conf does not work

On Fri, 28 Aug 2015, doug@safeport.com wrote:

> Maybe I should have taken the questions one at a time. My highest priority
> question is that the handbook is in error on how to generate xorg.conf.
> startx is just not correct.

I don't understand what you are saying there.

> The next issue (Xorg -confgure), I only noted in passing. My question here is
> this a FreeBSD issue or should it be PR'd to Xorg. For starters 'Xorg
> -configure' selected the vesa driver, autoconfiguration picked the ATI Radeon
> driver. The vesa driver could not negociate a setting. Note even if it did
> the screen resolution would be 1026x760 or whatever the current one-size fits
> all resolution is. This is clearly an error in the Xorg command. There may
> have been other errors in the generated xorg.conf file, but the first one was
> the vesa driver could not get something out of the BIOS it liked. Earlier
> versions of Xorg this all worked albeit with the vesa driver.

Back up for a second.  Exactly what video hardware do you have?  If you
have onboard Intel video along with an add-on Radeon card, it would
probably be best to disable the Intel video in the BIOS.

Otherwise, try this for xorg.conf.  Do not add this to an existing file,
this is the *entire* file:

Section "Device"
 	Identifier  "Card0"
 	Driver      "radeon"