Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 2000 23:26:50 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        jose@we.lc.ehu.es (Jose M. Alcaide)
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, rnordier@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The trouble with boot0

As I recall, Jose M. Alcaide wrote:
> I installed FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE into ad0s3 and, after that, pressing
> F3 for booting from ad0s3 only produces the famous beep.  Note,
> however, that I can still boot from ad0s2 (which also contains FreeBSD
> and begins after cylinder 1023) and ad0s1.  Only ad0s3 fails and I
> don't know why.  I think that boot0 does not like a 3rd slice
> physically placed before the 2nd one.  Is this a bug or a "feature"?

I've got a 2.2.8 system that has a similar partitioning.  It was set
up to dual-boot WniNT and FreeBSD, and I chose to convert the NT
partition to a second FreeBSD space.

The problem I had seemed to be that the booter would try to boot the
first FreeBSD partition it found in the table.  That was the
(former) NT space, as it had been physically first 'cause NT wouldn't
boot otherwise.  It didn't matter that it wasn't marked as the
active partition, it just had to be first in the fdisk table.  The
third partition in the table =was= marked as active, and had the
bootable root, but it never got that far.

The fix I applied was to re-arrange the entries in the fdisk table.
That is, the partitions still used the same starting and ending
blocks, I just made the (physically) third partition be first in the
table.

Works for me.

Perhaps there wasn't room in the 512 byte booter to check for the
active flag under 2.2.8, but I'd think in the brave new world that
shouldn't be a problem.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.net