Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2001 23:26:29 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Kelsey Cummings <kgc@sonic.net>
Cc:        Henrik Hudson <lists@rhavenn.net>, Julian Morgan <jmorganmcse@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: watchguard firewalls

In the last episode (Oct 29), Kelsey Cummings said:
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 07:55:06PM -0600, Henrik Hudson wrote:
> > On Monday 29 October 2001 19:21, Julian Morgan wrote:
> > > Sorry - the question is not totally related to BSD - but they are
> > > trying to replace my 7 network BSD structure with these things -
> > > and have given me neally no detail and I want to make sure it is
> > > a suitable product for VPN firewall capabilities

There's no need to replace anything, unless your 7 machines were all
firewalls (in which case replacing them with a single machine might be
a good idea).  The firebox is not a web, ftp, or email server.  It
filters and proxies services, but you still have to have a machine
behind it serving up content.

> > They run a Linux kernel in them and are stable if kept updated,
> > etc....my only real nitpick with them is that they can only log to
> > a NT machine running their logging agent which was a bit
> > annoying..i mean your running a Linux kernel, I am sure they could
> > figure out some sort of syslog funcitionality, but I digress.

Recent versions of the firebox software can do syslog logging (this
feature is about 6 months old, I think)

> Just be warned that the Watchgaurd filewalls that I've seen can't do
> anything BUT proxy outbound connections which means that the source
> IP address of machines from inside get hidden.  Which, is both good
> and really bad.

This has never been true; we are using ours in "drop-in" mode.  It only
NATs what you tell it to, and passes the rest through unchanged.

The only big drawback to the Firebox (and it's a big one) is you must
reboot to enable changes to your configuration, which basically means
no changes during business hours.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com