Date:      Fri, 31 May 1996 23:45:29 +1000 (EST)
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   XFree86 Trio64V+ lockup with AHA-2940

I recall that some time ago there was a report here of machine lockup
when starting the XFree86 S3 server with at Trio64V+ PCI card in a machine
with an AHA-2940.  I vaguely recall a comment from someone saying it might
have been related to a problem with the 2940 driver.  Does anyone have
any further information on this?

I'm asking because we (XFree86) have been getting quite a few reports of
this type, and the 2940 seems to be the common factor.  We've had reports
for both FreeBSD and Linux.  We've also found that if there is no (or minimal)
disk activity during the server startup, then there is no problem (a typical
way of ensuring this is to do 'cat /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_S3 > /dev/null'
before starting the server).

David