Date:      Fri, 10 Oct 2008 16:37:01 -0300
From:      JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: am2 MBs - 4g + SCSI wipes out root partition

On Friday 10 October 2008 07:43:07 Dieter wrote:
> > I get a problem on several am2 motherboards when an SCSI Adaptor (LSI
> > or=3D20 Adaptec) is installed and with 4Gigs of Ram
> >
> > the problem is easy to repeat, after some minutes compiling world the
> > machi=3D ne=3D20
> > crashes, sometimes a panic mmap ffs crossrefeerence or something, passes
> > to=3D o=3D20
> > fast to look an when the machine comes back often the complete root
> > partiti=3D on=3D20
> > is gone or if not it needs manual fsck and mostly /dev references are
> > gone =3D or=3D20
> > other important parts so the disk isn't bootable anymore
> >
> > funny is (for me) that the other partitions are ok ever and only root
> > is=3D20 fucked ever
>
> Are you running FreeBSD i386 or amd64?

amd64

> Is the compiler using /tmp and /tmp is in root partition?
> Maybe try having a seperate partition for /tmp, might keep
> root partition from getting trashed?

/tmp is linked to /var/tmp

> > Same hardware with SATA works perfect
>
> Maybe try root partition on SATA, everything else on SCSI
> and see what happens.
>
> If the system supports a RS-232 console, you could capture panic
> message that way.  Or aim a video camera at the screen.

well

to be more clear the machine hangs somewhere in buildworld

I saw some panics all with mmap and crossreference, the panic does not=20
complete either it hangs before getting to the pointer lines

I have still a disk which wasn't completly wiped out so if you have some ne=
ed=20
for finding some info I try but without camera and dogs envolved please :)

=2D-=20

Jo=E3o