Date:      Sat, 17 Jun 2000 21:56:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>, Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, van.woerkom@netcologne.de, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GENERIC from today does not detect system console on my box

On Sat, 17 Jun 2000, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     My test box, with a pristine 5.x kernel, crashes on boot... it only
>     gets a few lines in, prints the amount of memory the machine has,
>     and BEWM.  Low memory page fault.

I saw the same thing myself.  It turns out, though, that I was using

COPTFLAGS= -march=pentium -Os -pipe

to compile my kernel.  When I used the stock opt flags of

COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe

to compile my kernel, my machine booted OK.  It appears as though some
changes were put in the tree that are sensitive to optimizations above -O
-pipe.  My machine never behaved this way before with high optimizations
until the new changes were put into -current about 1 or 2 days ago.

- Donn