Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 2007 10:03:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Brian A. Seklecki" <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        smcafee@collaborativefusion.com
Subject:   release(7) subtargets and custom internal releng

Does anyone out there use the sub-targets in /usr/src/release independent
of the 'make release' target? I'm looking to build customized install ISOs
from a highly stripped down 'make buildworld'.

I want to build the stripped version of the userland and kernels using my
make.conf(5) in my native environment and avoid the chroot(8) +
re-make-buildworld.

I don't need src sets, mass port builds, docs

I guess I'm spoiled by NetBSD build.sh in this sense.  There we just
./build.sh { build, release CHECKFLIST_FLAGS+=-e -m}; mkhybrid(1) and
you've got a customized install ISO.

I understand the how the default release(7) approach creates a sanitized
build environment.  Seems logical.  But it accomplishes one descrete task.
Essentially I need the following:

make buildworld
release.3
release.4
release.5
release.6
floppies.1
cdrom.1
cdrom.3
iso.1

Before I spend a day getting all of these targets to play nice together,
just curious if anyone else is doing this?

l8*
 	-lava (Brian A. Seklecki - Pittsburgh, PA, USA)
 	       http://www.spiritual-machines.org/