Date:      Sun, 15 Apr 2001 09:24:00 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        Kris Kirby <kris@catonic.net>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Chip Wiegand <chip@wiegand.org>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Just an observation - MUA's seen in the lists

At 8:53 AM +0200 4/15/01, Brad Knowles wrote:

>  	I see the word "technology" here, not the term "source code".  It
>  sounds to me like they're trying to do a complete redevelopment of the
>  project using purely open source methods and APIs, and not bringing the
>  entire source code base for StarOffice and making that the foundation of
>  the project.

	I've since found a reference to MacOS in Sun's StarOffice 5.2 FAQ
pages at
<http://www.sun.com/products/staroffice/5.2/faqs-general.html>:

| 23.  When will the StarOffice suite be available for Mac OS?
|
| The StarOffice suite is not available on the Mac OS and Sun has no plans to
| market a Mac version of StarOffice software. An Mac OS X porting project is
| available on http://porting.OpenOffice.org/mac enabling a third party ISV to
| create and release a native OS X office productivity suite.
|

| 24.  Will Sun support the Mac port efforts available through OpenOffice.org?
|
| Sun's contribution to the open source community is to provide significant
| core system technologies, documentation and an alpha
| testing/visualization implementation. Sun engineers have made significant
| efforts and paved new roads in this endeavor, bringing core system
| technologies and native code of the application to the Mac platform. This
| provides the open-source community with a jump-start towards delivering
| a native Mac OS X office suite. The developer and ISV community can build
| upon the Mac OS X alpha reference implementation to compile, debug,
| expand and eventually deliver to the market a native Mac OS X office suite.
| Sun will continue to support OpenOffice.org code through its sponsorship of
| Collab.net, providing the documentation and infrastructure to encourage
| adoption and maturity of this product.

	Again, it appears to me that they have basically dumped certain
bits of StarOffice onto a web site and allowed others to have access
to that content, but everything I've read about this so far indicates
that this is much worse than Netscape & Mozilla, much less any of the
other pseudo open-source projects.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>          */