Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 16:11:15 +0100
From:      Sven Reimers <reimers@tu-harburg.de>
To:        "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Multi-OS

Hi guys,

it seems that I can't see the solution to such a easy problem. Ok.

So. Early in the morning I got the new 3.1 release - put it on
CD-ROM/bootable

and tried to upgrade a system (first try was over NFS). The good news
are I completely discarded my
old FreeBSD version, so a clean new installation. Everything worked
fine, but in the end I can't boot
FreeBSD. This try was on a IDE Harddisk two partitions: 1 - NT 2 -
FreeBSD. This worked so far
very nice - but now no way it keeps complaining about a missing kernel -
sounds really weird.

I just then started to get the next system down. This time SCSI (boot
preference is SCSI - IDE )!! After
installing from the bootable CD I managed to boot FreeBSD, but it fails
with
    panic - cannot mount root.

Seems that the new installation process (bootloader) gives me some
problems. We have here 5-6 servers
and workstations running under FreeBSD and I appreciated the simple
installation procedure.
May be I missed something in the docs?

Anybody help!?

Sven