Date:      Mon, 14 Nov 2005 14:17:22 -0600
From:      Eric Schuele <e.schuele@computer.org>
To:        Marco Calviani <marco.calviani@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation of Freebsd on external hard drive

Marco Calviani wrote:
> Hello freebsd-mobile,
> i'm a quite experienced Debian laptop user using an Acer Travelmate 8005. I
> would like to install freebsd on an external USB or Firewire HD and choose
> which OS use at startup (maybe within the GRUB loader). However i'm a BSD
> newbie.
> Could you give me some hints on how to perform this task? What option should
> i choose for the bootloader?

I've installed it on USB keys and external USB drives with no problem.

Since I was only using those for experimentation, I never modified my
boot loader.  My BIOS provides a boot menu for selecting the boot
device, of which "external USB device" is an option.  I found this
cleaner, since when not using those devices I do not have to go through
the FreeBSD boot menu.

Hints?
For my situation... I booted from the CD.  When asked to slice and
partition my disk... I chose the external USB device.  I selected the
'standard boot loader'.  Then the rest of the magic is handled by my BIOS.

Don't know if that helps you much.