Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2006 09:18:51 -0600
From:      "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Western Digital combination usb/firewire hdd

I just added a 320-gig Western Digital external hard disk drive to
my amd64 RELENG_6 system (as /dev/da0).  The OEM docs recommend
connecting both the USB *and* the firewire cables for optimal
performance, which I've done.

What I'm wondering is: how does FreeBSD deal with such a setup?  Does it
favor one connection over the other, or does it actually use both?  It
seems I'm getting firewire throughput on the device (at bootup dmesg
reports 50 MB/s transfer rate, rather than the slower 12 MB/s USB
rate).

The device is working just fine, but I'm just curious about this, if
anyone has any clues.

Thanks!

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads@cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"