Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 1999 18:22:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        gregory kinney <mycotropic@hotmail.com>
Cc:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: it just goes on and on.......

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, gregory kinney wrote:

> i am one very short step from just giving up on this install

	Don't do that. :) Instead, send some info to
freebsd-questions@freebsd.org that includes a lot more details, and please
try to focus your post down to some specific questions. I don't even know
where to begin to help you on this because I don't know exactly what
you're trying to do.

	To start with, we need to know:

1. What version of FreeBSD are you trying to install, or did you install?
2. What exact models of 3com cards are you using?

Also, a few things about your post concern me.

> i need to have 2 cards to bridge 2 subnets

	If I were you, I would concentrate on getting one card to work,
then when you have a good feel for that you should start on the other.
Bridging subnets is not a new-user type task, so you're complicating the
installation with other factors that are already prone to frustration.

> the jacks are live

	Not sure what you mean here. Do you get LINK lights on the NIC's
and the switch they are plugged into?

> the machine is on

	Always a good sign. :)

> unfortunately i have NO eo0 or eo1 or vx0 or vx1

	Not sure what you mean here. I don't see any mention of an eo
device, but the vx device supports the 3Com 3C590 and 3C595. Again, we
need to know the exact model numbers.

> so how in the world do you mount an ethernet device????

	You dont'. You ifconfig it. Where do you see this error message?

> the networking comands exist in rc.config!!!!

	Hmmm... are you sure you don't mean /etc/rc.conf?

> (for one of them anyway)
> where are the devices?
> i certainly cant find them!

	They should be in /dev. If they haven't been made, the might
explain your problems. Looking in my /dev directory I don't see any vx
devices, and the LINT file in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf mentions that this is
an "early support" driver. You might be better off buying some Intel
Etherexpress Pro 100/+ NIC's for this machine. Those are the preferred
cards for freebsd, and I can guarantee you that you won't be dissatisfied
with their performance.

> and i cant recompile the kernal, inserting them, cause i cant find the
> kernel source on the location specified in the book!!!
> i TOLD the install wizard to install all of the /src
> but apparently it descided not to!

	kernel sources should be in /usr/src/sys. If they aren't, there
are several methods of obtaining them, all of them mentioned in detail in
the kernel section of the freebsd handbook on our web page.

I look forward to your response on freebsd-questions.

Doug
--
"My mama told me, my mama said, 'don't cry.' She said, 'you're too young a man
to have as many women you got.' I looked at my mother dear and didn't even

    - John Belushi as "Joliet" Jake Blues, "I Don't Know"