Date:      Sat, 3 Nov 2001 17:55:05 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NatWest? no thanks

Gary W. Swearingen <swear@blarg.net> types:
> Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org> writes:
> > If you haven't, find a copy of Raskin's "The Humane Interface", and
> > read it. He argues - quite convincingly - that the real problem is
> > that people are being offered applications at all. It's silly to have
> > to start a "word processor" to deal with a document with words in it
> > vs. having to start a "drawing program" to deal with a document with
> > graphics in it when the operations on the two things are fundamentally
> > the same: add, select, cut, copy, paste and set properties.
> [...]
> But regardless of whether you offer different applications, I'd think
> you'd still be left offering different documents or functions or
> features.

Nope. Documents - as separate files - aren't part of the interface
either. They're all part of the space you're working in, and you have
the same set of functions available all the time. There are markers in
the space to help you select documents, but that's no different in
concept than selecting pages - or bars, or scenes - in a
document. Some functions may not make any sense when applied to some
selections in the space, but they are always there and available.

> Will it be better to use command options or menus or
> user-sensitive images to control your CD player or network?  Etc...
> (I think the answer is that we want all methods to be available.)

Why should the CD be any different from any other data - other than
probably being read-only? Select the CD - or whatever part of it you
want - and use the "play" function. The same idea applies to the
network, though "playing" the entire network probably won't work any
better than playing your entire hard drive.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.