Date:      Sat, 27 Mar 1999 12:53:41 -0500
From:      W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com
Cc:        wghicks@bellsouth.net, obrien@NUXI.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gdb 4.17

From: Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>

> Then they can use the versions supplied with new versions of EGCS which
> they are testing.

Some of us are tracking them using CVS.  The notion of a "release"
in that case is as fuzzy as with our own -current and -stable
branches.

> Again, we need to keep the base system as simple and small as it can be,
> and adding a bunch of tests that no-else uses seems silly.

That is why I said the port will remain important.  I agree that
the tests don't belong with the base system.  Being able to use them
implies a set of special tools that haven't even been prepared for
public consumption yet.

What's really important to me is that the EGCS compilers built in
ports remain as true to the system installation as possible while
also striving to build the distribution the 'EGCS' way, preserving
their development support when possible.

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks
wghicks@bellsouth.net