Date:      Sun, 19 Jul 2009 14:16:57 -0400
From:      Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   HEADS-UP: Shared Library Versions bumped...

--=-cbD+tMhyqRzyu/TEjcov

First I want to apologize.  This should have happened a bit sooner in
our release cycle than now.  To be honest I had slipped into "We have
symbol versioning for our libraries now" mode.  But only a few of the
libraries currently have that turned on and I sorta forgot we still need
to deal with all the shared libraries that do not have symbol versioning
enabled yet.  Sorry for the hassle this will cause.

Today with svn commit 195767 I bumped the version number of all
non-symbol-version-ed shared libraries in preparation for 8.0-REL.  We
do this just in case API/ABI changes occured in head between 7.0 and
now, it lets us provide the older library versions as "compatibility
library ports" in the ports tree.

The problem is that as of the next time you update a machine that had
been running -current you are best off reinstalling all ports or other
applications you have on the machine.  When you reboot after doing the
update to the base system everything you have installed will still work
because the old shared library versions will still be there.  However
anything you build on the machine after its base system gets updated
would be linked against the newer base system shared libraries but any
libraries that are part of ports or other applications (e.g. the Xorg
libraries) would have been linked against the older library versions.
You really don't want to leave things that way.

The ports folks will be starting up a fresh package build now but it
takes some time for full package runs like this to complete, get
uploaded, and then propagate out to the mirrors.  If you tend to use
pre-built packages instead of building them as ports yourself you might
want to just hold off on updating anything until they let us know a
fresh set of packages is available.  And BETA3 will definitely be
scheduled for after the fresh set of packages becomes available.

And again - sorry for the hassle.

--=20
                                                Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith@cse.buffalo.edu