Date:      Fri, 27 Jul 2007 00:57:34 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Yoshihiro Ota <ota@j.email.ne.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Call for testers for yet another ports upgrade program, ports+

Yoshihiro Ota wrote:

> I think portmaster is also one tries to read and do the same things
> but with shell script.

Not exactly the same things. Portmaster doesn't keep any external
database, it only updates what is in /var/db/pkg.

> I personally didn't have good luck with portmaster and haven't
> really used to evaluate.

I'm sorry to hear that. If you're interested, please feel free to
start another thread that describes your issues.

> However, "portmaster -a -n" wasn't not fast, neither.

Well, I'm not sure when you last tried it, but I've implemented a lot
of caching features in the past year, so nowadays almost all of the
time spent running portmaster is actually spent in the ports tree,
most of that in building the port.

> By the way, it builds ports in background, doesn't it?

No, it only builds in the foreground. I've thought about various ways
to try and implement parallel builds, but it's a pretty hard problem
to solve in a reliable way. The reasons why have been covered in other
threads, so you might want to check the archives.

Portmaster _does_ download new distfiles in the background though, as
well as a few other functions that aren't typically user visible.

hope this helps,

Doug