Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2018 20:36:21 +0300
From:      Greg V <greg@unrelenting.technology>
To:        Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>
Cc:        Stefan Rumetshofer <sterum77@gmail.com>, freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Testing the linux compatibility with the amdgpu driver and linux-doom3 fails

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 8:30 PM, Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>
wrote:

> On 8/16/18 9:46 AM, Stefan Rumetshofer wrote:
>> Firts of all i hope this is not the wrong mailing list.
>>
>> I was trying to run linux-doom3 from the ports collection with my
>> graphics
>> hardware but this fails with an error realted to OpenGL or so. Also
>> other
>> linux games are failing like Unreal or RTCW. It seems that there is
>> a general
>> Problem with the amd Graphics driver and the linux compatibility. I
>> also teted
>> the game wit the intel driver on my SandyBridge GPU with no error.
>>
>> My graphics hardware is an AMD Radeon RX560. OS is a FreeBSD
>> 11.2-RELEASE with
>> drm-next-kmod and xf86-video-amdgpu. The kernel module is loaded with
>> kld_list="amdgpu" in the rc.conf and the X11 driver is loaded with
>> 'Driver
>> "amdgpu"' in the Device Section of the xorg.conf. Xorg works fine
>> with this
>> configuration.
>
> interesting, have you tried starting Xorg without a configuration in
> place?  on my intel systems not having a config in place has Xorg
> utilize the modesetting driver, which gives me full hardware
> acceleration.  i believe this should also work on amdgpu as well
> (although i'm less familiar with that GPU).  you may have to remove
> the xf86-video-amdgpu pkg to see if it can load modesetting.

amdgpu is the better driver. It uses glamor for acceleration, just like
modesetting, but it is much better in terms of screen tearing.

On intel, modesetting is the *only* way to use glamor, since the
'intel' driver uses old UXA or SNA stuff (sort-of native 2d
acceleration that Intel doesn't really want to maintain anymore)

> also, with your current config does "glxinfo" show support for the
> missing extensions?  interestingly enough I do not see support for
> GL_EXT_shared_texture_palette nor GL_NV_register_combiners on my
> intel system.  it' been a while since i've done any 3d work so I'm
> not %100 sure of the criticality of those last two extensions are.

I think doom3 would specifically error if an extension was a hard
requirement, not segfault :)