Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 16:23:35 -0400
From:      Pat Wendorf <beholder@unios.dhs.org>
To:        Spikeman <spikeman@myself.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd on laptops

I have an older laptop, a Digital HiNote VP 575 (yes before they became
Compaq), and I can use wmapm for a battery meter in X, however, unlike
others, I seem to have no sucess at all with closing the lid.  The
machine will simply spin down the hard drive and shut off the screen for
about 1/4 of a second, then spin the hard drive back up, and turn the
screen back on.  If I keep the lid closed, it just repeats this over and
over. I think I've asked about this question before and didn't get much
of a response. Here is the APM section of my DMESG:

apm0: <APM BIOS> on motherboard
apm: found APM BIOS v1.2, connected at v1.2

Oh, I must also mention that the APM doesn't even detect until I change
a line in the kernel.  I  have to change the default APM device line to
this:

device apm

If you run into the same problem, any help would be appreciated :)

Pat