Date:      Fri, 03 Nov 1995 14:49:18 -0600
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/emulators/linux_lib - Imported sources

Here's my cliff notes on setting up linux compat:

1)  make sure you're running on a kernel whose config file
    has `options COMPAT_LINUX' in it. If not, then re-config, rebuild,
    and reboot.

2)  make sure you have a set of linux shared libraries.  Friday
    afternoon I intend to import my port of linux libraries.
    then it should just be to make install from
    /usr/ports/emulators/linux_lib.  or get the port from the port
    ftp/www server.

    At any rate, your linux libraries must be installed in
    /compat/linux/{lib,usr/lib}.

    NOTE: linux libraries *must* be ZMAGIC, although it appears that
    binaries can be either ZMAGIC or QMAGIC.

3)  make sure you have a /usr/bin/linux, if not do a `make all install'
    from /usr/src/lkm/linux.  run /usr/bin/linux (as root).  You
    should get output something like:

(jake)$ sudo linux
Linux emulator installed
Module loaded as ID 2
(jake)$

4)  run your favorite linux binaries.  I have personally run
    doom, Wingz, Xess, and Maple.  I've made ports of Wingz, and
    Maple.
    Here's a sample run of a linux kermit:

(jake)$ uname -a
FreeBSD jake 2.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 2.2-CURRENT #0: Mon Oct 30 14:57:30 CST 1995
   erich@jake:/usr/src/sys-atalk/compile/JAKE  i386
(jake)$ file kermit
kermit: setgid Linux/i386 demand-paged executable (ZMAGIC) not stripped
(jake)$ ./kermit
C-Kermit 5A(190), 4 Oct 94, for Linux
 Copyright (C) 1985, 1994,
  Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York.
Type ? or HELP for help.
C-Kermit>quit
(jake)$

eric.