Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 1995 11:05:53 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@render.com>
To:        "Craig .regexp. Struble" <cstruble@quirk.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freebsd.org>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A little off-topic, but.. Fresco?

On Thu, 29 Jun 1995, Craig .regexp. Struble wrote:

> On Tue, June 27, 1995 at 01:57:26 (+0100), Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>  > I finally decided to build Fresco after going through the whole X11 build
>  > anyway (to link with -lgnumalloc, which does seem to work well for me at
>  > least so far).  However, I see a rather large lack of sample APPLICATIONS
>  > for the thing.  Hmmm?  How are people testing the resulting library, if
>  > I may ask?
>  >
> Well before Fresco will work, MAJOR changes in ld.so are
> necessary. Doug Rabson (dfr@render.com) has written some of the
> changes, and I've been testing them. They fix most of the problems I
> was having with Fresco. I'll let Doug discuss the changes he's
> made. He did post about his changes a few weeks back, but he seemed to
> be summarily ignored. Maybe now he can bring things back up again.

I have now commited the ld.so changes to FreeBSD-current.  To use them
you will need to (at least) rebuilt crt0.o c++rt0.o and ld.so.  I am not
sure I would class the changes as MAJOR.  Most of ld.so is unchanged; I
just rewrote dlopen.

I would like to see these changes move into the 2.1 track so can people
please test them in -current and give me some feedback.

--
Doug Rabson, Microsoft RenderMorphics Ltd.	Mail:  dfr@render.com
						Phone: +44 171 251 4411