Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2002 15:42:35 +0100 (BST)
From:      Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Cy Schubert - CITS Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Doug Barton <DougB@freebsd.org>, Dan Moschuk <dan@freebsd.org>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Package system flaws?

> From: Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
> Date: Fri 12 Jul, 2002
> Subject: Re: Package system flaws?

> The default place to stick the filesets downloaded, IMHO, is the
> directory where the XML file is located.  No surprises, easy to find
> a filesystem that has space available, etc.

I hadn't actually considered any other option besides that.

In my scheme it's the directory name that you key off, and the metadata is
in a fixed name file, e.g.

    $ ls /var/spool/pkg/bar-m.n
    base.bz2        devel.bz2       doc.bz2     package.xml
    $ pkg_add /var/spool/pkg/bar-m.n

Alternatively, using a "bundling transformation":

    $ (cd /var/spool/pkg/bar-m.n; tar cf ../bar-m.n.tar *.xml *.bz2)
    $ pkg_add /var/spool/pkg/bar-m.n.tar

Am I right in saying that you have something like the following scheme in
mind?

    $ ls /var/spool/pkg
    bar-m.n-base.bz2        bar-m.n-doc.bz2     foo-x.y-base.bz2
    bar-m.n-devel.bz2       bar-m.n.xml         foo-x.y.xml

In that case my "bundling transformation" becomes:

    $ (cd /var/spool/pkg; tar cf bar-m.n.tar bar-m.n.xml bar-m.n-*.bz2)

My scheme eats more inodes, but I prefer the shorter file names.  However,
I'm happy with whichever ends up being ultimately more useful.

		Cheers,

		Mark.

--
Mark Valentine, Thuvia Labs <mark@thuvia.co.uk>       <http://www.thuvia.co.uk>;
"Tigers will do ANYTHING for a tuna fish sandwich."       Mark Valentine uses