Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 01:35:57 -0700
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Binary upgrade available

Some of us use the openssh port because openssh is a moving target. I
noticed the port is updated to 3.3, and found this in the CVS logs:

  Revision 1.99 / (download) - annotate - [select for diffs], Mon Jun 24
22:57:12 2002 UTC (33 hours, 35 minutes ago) by dinoex
  Branch: MAIN
  Changes since 1.98: +15 -8 lines
  Diff to previous 1.98 (colored)

  Enable privilege separation as default,
  create user and home if it not exists.

So unless I'm missing something, people who track the ports tree and
install openssh from it can use the latest port, turn privsep on,
and they are now considered immune from this particular exploit.

Anyone see a flaw in that logic?
------
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

It is your attachment to objects which makes you blind and
deaf.