Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 2010 13:10:00 +0300
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonicy@otenet.gr>
To:        Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: running FreeBSD on Windows host

On 24/08/2010 11:42 π.μ., Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El día Monday, August 23, 2010 a las 02:31:08PM +0300, Manolis Kiagias escribió:
>

>>> Once having setup VMware (workstation), I plan to boot from FreeBSD live
>>> CD, create the slices big enough and fill in the dumps of my current
>>> system. Any objectives with this? Thx
>>>
>>> 	matthias
>>>

>> This should work nicely. In fact, in one of my recent projects I did the
>> exact opposite with great success:
>>
>> I installed and configured a full system on Vmware Workstation, dumped
>> the partitions and restored on real hardware.
>> Saved me countless hours and had the school lab running in less than a day.
>>
> I have produced three dumps: from the /, /var and /usr file system. The
> man page of restore(8) reads about creating pristine file system, made
> by newfs(8). Later, in the VM environment, I'd like to have only one big
> file system... Is it possible to restore the tree dumps into one big
> file system or do I have to rebuild the same slicing as I now have?

You won't have to rebuild the slicing. Just create the relevant
directories in your big file system, cd into them and use restore.
> In the original posting I was asking for some kind of benchmark tool in
> the ports, to compare current and VM disk i/o... any hits? Thanks
>
> 	matthias

Sorry I have no hard evidence on that. FWIW, virtual desktop systems
running on core2duo class machines feel very fast and responsive.
Definitely faster than my Atom 330 (dual core) running FreeBSD natively.
There are lots of benchmarks in ports/benchmarks, some of them may be
useful. I've used bonnie / bonnie++ in the past, but I am never certain
I can interpret the results in a meaningful way. The base system gstat
could also prove useful.