Date:      Sat, 16 Mar 2002 08:41:25 +0100
From:      "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve@sohara.org>
To:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1016673788.bf0083@mired.org>
Cc:        seanleblanc@attbi.com, freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some audio capture questions

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002 19:23:07 -0600
"Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1016673788.bf0083@mired.org> wrote:

MM> I don't know about anything to do on-the-fly capture and
MM> encoding. There are a number of tools that capture to .wav or .pcm. At

	lame, gogo and blade will all do real time mp3 encoding on
reasonable hardware (say k6-300 and up). With more modern hardware
realtime *video* encoding (mpeg1 or mpeg4) is quite feasible.

MM> As for whether or not that card will work, I recommend asking on
MM> -multimedia. Recording audio is one of the weak spots in FreeBSD at

	It is ? What's the problem ? Recording audio has always just
worked from me.

	BTW: this *is* -multimedia :)

--
C:>WIN                                          |     Directable Mirrors
The computer obeys and wins.                    |A Better Way To Focus The Sun